Ashburton Baptist Church is an active Christian community that welcomes all people to share the journey of faith, looking to Jesus Christ as our model and the Spirit of God as our guide, towards a deepening response to God and caring relationships with others, ourselves and the world around us.
The church has a membership of around 200, with a wider community of more than 400, and has established well-equipped facilities set in attractive landscaped gardens in the heart of Ashburton. The church centre in Y Street is busy virtually every day, with worship services on Sundays and a range of other activities during the week, while our strong community focus is evidenced in a wide range of other activities.
How To Find Us
Ashburton Baptist is located at 8 Y Street, Ashburton. Parking is available in the Marquis Street car park, which adjoins the church buildings. The Ashburton railway station is just a short walk away. Read on for more information and a map to help you find us.
What We Believe
Ashburton Baptist Church is both a self-governing faith community and a member church of the Baptist Union of Victoria. We believe that we are responsible to each other for our growth and understanding of the Christian faith, and so we encourage active and open discussion of our faith.
We endeavour to provide teaching and sharing opportunities to discover what it means to be a Christian in today’s world. We seek to be a people and a place where those in need can find compassion and both spiritual and material help in times of trouble and uncertainty.
Our Mission Statement summarises what we are about:
We welcome all people irrespective of race, religion, political views, gender, marital status, sexual preference, employment status or age to share the journey of faith, with Jesus Christ as our model and the Spirit of God as our guide, towards a deepening response to God and caring relationships with others, ourselves and the created world.
In 1929 an Ashburton Baptist fellowship began with 20 people. In 1934 a timber church was constructed in Marquis Street and the fellowship constituted as a church proper. The church grew with the rapid expansion of the Ashburton / Glen Iris area in the 30s, 40s and 50s. This early growth was expressed in the construction of a new brick sanctuary in Y Street in 1959.